Reasons why Dawson’s Creek has utterly captured my interest and my heart:
1. Young Michelle Williams (one of my favorite actors in the universe. Although, let’s be honest, we don’t really want her to end up with Dawson.)
2. Young Katie Holmes (who, let’s be honest, I’ve been a little prejudiced against since the Tom Cruise fiasco, but have now officially warmed up to.)
3. Real talk. This show has it all: parents having affairs and dealing with the consequences, teachers having affairs with students and dealing with the consequences, teenagers growing up, sex, interracial relationships, Christianity vs. atheism, high school drama, LGBT (so far only mentioned, not exemplified, but I’m only a few episodes in).
4. Wit. Reminds me in this way of Gilmore Girls: lots of pop culture references and quick banter.
5. Best friends falling for each other. Yes, this is somewhat less of a revolutionary aspect than the previous four, but it’s enjoyable nonetheless. It’s what keeps me watching. Will Joey tell Dawson she’s in love with him? Will he reciprocate? Can they be more than friends, or will admitting their feelings only make things awkward and tear them apart eventually?
6. The title. Like I said, I’m somewhat new to the scene, but is the creek (seems more like a river) that shows up frequently in the show actually named Dawson’s Creek? And is the character Dawson named after the creek, or vice versa? Or is the title some metaphorical statement about the way Dawson’s life and feelings and relationships are constantly in flux, like a moving body of water?
7. Movie references. This goes hand in hand with item 4. I love to hear the characters talk about different films. What they’re watching, whether they like it, etc. It makes me want to start a list of the ones they recommend, and then watch them myself.
8. The theme song. (hey hey hey yeah)